I’ve recently returned from Lineapelle in Milan and thought I’d share my impressions on the emerging trends for Summer 2018. The first day was relatively quiet, so it was easier to look around the fair and see the colours, materials and trends. As you’d expect from Lineapelle, there was a great deal of innovation and new development in leathers, particularly in the finishing. A common theme was the mixing of different materials, textures and tones, which was inspiring and really made one think about the season with new energy.
Here are some of my first impressions of the fair:
- Shine/sheen – patents, eighties wet look finishes and metallics in all colourings
- Woven leathers – mixing tone on tone, combining different finishes and drawing inspiration from antique tiling
- Printed leathers and synthetics – painterly florals and blurred florals. Stripes and camouflage are still selling well.
- Focus on the back of materials – whether playing with colour, texture, or bonding with different fabrics to make it double faced.
- Colour – the strength of blue, especially cobalt, mixed with the tones of brown.
- Tone on tones – really lush saturated tones ranging from vibrant oranges and pinks to meadow greens.